Saturday, January 18, 2014

Evolution of an Unexpected Commission...

Welcome back, my friends! Good to see you made it to 2014!

So today I decided to try and post an 11x17 Superman sketch that I did with inks and Copics. Within 10 minutes of posting it on Facebook, the pin-up was spoken for by a great comic art fan that liked the image. Here it is as it was originally posted:




Simple, right? Well, as time went on the client sent a message to me asking if the "S" shield on Superman could be colored red. My response? No problem, of course. A minor upgrade! So I colored it in with a faded Koi Coloring Brush Pen, Prismacolor Colored Pencil and a Primsacolor Premier Marker for richness and color saturation. I also added little background hints/clouds. So here's what the updated version ended up looking like:





Simultaneously, the client requested that I draw a 2nd piece that could accompany the Superman sketch featuring Wonder Woman (with custom green eyes). Now, this is where things get interesting.

I began sketching out the Wonder Woman image like so:





I then placed the previous Superman sketch next to it so that I could keep Wonder Woman on scale with Supes. Suddenly, my eyes began to merge the images into one, so I decided to make the client a REAL companion piece--one that can be displayed individually, side by side with the other or attached together to make a whole image. Take a look at what it evolved into:




Superman/Wonder Woman Marker Sketch (22 x 34/Copics on Bristol) by Eric Henson


So each updated and completed image is a stand-alone piece like below:


Superman Marker Sketch (11x17/Copics on Bristol) by Eric Henson


Wonder Woman Marker Sketch (11x17/Copics on Bristol) by Eric Henson


...Or they can be merged into a solid poster! I hope you've enjoyed this unexpected creation!   Thanks for stopping by!                                                                                                                                                      


--Back to the Drawing Board,
               Eric

3 comments: